Cromwell Belden Public Library
On February 16, 1888, a meeting was called to create a plan of organization for a town library. On February 29, a constitution for the Cromwell Library Association was approved. Many local people contributed to the fund for the establishment of a library. On April 7, 1888, a check for $1,000 from Josiah Belden was received. This donation would be equivalent to $25,000 in 2012 dollars. The new association decided to recognize the donation by renaming the organization as the Belden Library Association. A letter was sent to Mr. Belden thanking him for the donation and informing him of the name change. On April 16, Mr. Belden sent a return letter thanking the members for that honor. Beginning with the first location in the Academy building on Main Street, through the move to the present building in the Town Hall complex in 1986, the library has become a cornerstone of the Cromwell community. From the original modest collection of books, to ever increasing access to online databases (including Consumer Reports, Chilton's Auto Manuals, World Book Encyclopedia) and the ability to download eBooks and audio books, the library has been a cultural, educational, and informational resource for the Cromwell community. Your library is steeped in history, and as modern as tomorrow!