Financial Programs

Application for the following financial programs are done by appontment only. Call Lisa Olson in Human Services at (860) 632-3449 to schedule an appointment.

Energy Assistance:  

The Cromwell Human Services Department acts as an intake site for energy assistance during the winter season. Please be aware that residents must apply every year! Liquid assets for homeowners is $10,000.00 and $7,000.00 for renters.

Proof of all current monthly income for the four weeks previous to application date for all household members must be submitted. This includes Social Security/SSI/SSD, Pension (must have 1099 or monthly stub, proof of direct deposit will not be allowed), wages, child support, help from family/friends, etc.

Name(s), birthdate(s), and social security number(s) of all household members.

Electric bill (required for all applicants regardless of heat source), Gas bill (if primary heat source) OR Oil Company Name (if oil is primary heat source)   

Rent Receipt or lease or Mortgage statement.

Most recent checking, savings, stocks/bonds, CD/IRA Statements.  All pages.

Rental Rebate:

If you qualify as a low income renter, you can receive a rebate check on your previous year’s rent from the State of Connecticut/Office of Policy & Management.

Time to apply is between May 1 - October 1 each year for the previous rental calendar year. Call Human Services for an appointment during this time.

Items needed to apply include Income for precious year, tax return if one is flied with IRS, proof of rent for entire previous year (January - December). Rent receipts or letter from landlord may be used.    

Proof of utility payments (electric, gas, oil, water) for previous year (January - December).

Home Owners Tax Relief Program:

Contact the Town Assessor’s Office at (860) 632-3442 for details on this program