Town Clerk



Contact Information

Office Hours

41 West St.
Town Hall, 2d Floor
Cromwell, CT 06416

Town Clerk: Darlene A. DiProto
Telephone: (860) 632-3440
Email: townclerk@cromwellct.com

Mon. thru Fri.
8:30 a.m to 4 p.m.
Please call for Holiday schedule.
Assistant Clerk: Gloria Prendergast
Telephone: (860) 632-3440
Assistant Clerk: Joan Ahlquist
Telephone: (860) 632-3440


Town Charter and Ordinances

FOI Guidelines

FOI Summary of Charges

FOI Attachment A Request Form

Visit Mail-A-Map


LAND RECORDS: CT Land Records Website

Recording Documents- Our office is responsible for the recordation of all Land Record Documents.  The filing fee is $53.00 for the first page, and $5.00 for each additional side or page for that particular document.  There is a $2.00 conveyance fee for any deed with a consideration of $2,000.00 or more.  No deed or permanent Easement will be recoded without the State of Connecticut Real Estate Conveyance Tax Form (OP-236 Rev 6/11).  Local conveyance for the Town of Cromwell is .0025 x consideration paid.

Click here: Certificate of Change of Name

Trade Name Certificate fee is $5.00.

Click here:  Cancellation of Trade Name Certificate

Cancellation of Trade Name Certificate fee $5.00.

Click here: Certificate of Trade Name

Foreclosure Registration Requirements and Forms, PA 11-201 (Connecticut General Statute 13-15), Effective October 1, 2011.  There is a $53.00 filing fee for the initial registrations and updates, but no fee will be collected for subsequent changes filed (see forms for explanations).

Click here: Foreclosure Registration Requirements
                Form 1 - Property being Foreclosed
                Form 2 - Property Aquired through Foreclosure or Updated Registration

Maps are $20.00 for subdivision map (which must be signed off by the P&Z Chairman) prior to recording. $10.00 for site plans, easements, boundary maps, etc.

Copies of land records are $1.00 per page.

Certified copies are $1.00 per page and $2.00 fee for certification per document.

Marriage License – Marriage licenses must be obtained in the town where the marriage ceremony is taking place. There are no premarital blood tests required.

Click here for Marriage License Worksheet.

Click here for Request to Convert Civil Union/Marriage Certificate

Click here for a Justice of the Peace listing.

At the Town Clerk’s Office, the bride and groom will fill out a marriage license worksheet (general information about each person, including their parents’ names/maiden names of their mothers, and the state or country of parents’ birth). The license will be typed while the applicants wait, and they will leave with their marriage license. The license is valid for 65 days from the time of application. The license fee is $30.00, which must be paid before the license can be taken. After the marriage, certified copies are available at the Town Clerk’s office in the town of occurrence, and subsequently in the towns of residence of both of the bride and groom. There is a $20.00 fee for certified copies.

Click here: Request for Copy of Marriage Certificate

Birth Certificates – Birth Certificates are on file for anyone whose mother was residing in Cromwell at the time of the birth. Photo identifications must be presented when a request is made. If request is made by mail, a copy of the applicant’s photo identification must be attached. You may request a birth certificate for yourself, your child, grandchild, parent, grandparent or spouse. There is a $15.00 fee per certified copy for wallet size, and a $20.00 fee per certified copy for the long form.

Click here: Request for Copy of Birth Certificate

Death Certificates – Death Certificates are available from the Town Clerk’s Office for anyone who died in the Town of Cromwell, or who died in another Connecticut town, but was a resident of Cromwell at the time of their death. There is a $20.00 fee for certified copies. Burial Permits are available to funeral homes for a fee of $3.00. Cremation Permits fee is $3.00. Sub-registrar is Doolittle Funeral Home/Cromwell Funeral Home at 860-346-6464.

Click here: Request for Copy of Death Certificate

Dog Licenses – Puppies must be licensed within 30 days after turning 6 months old. New dogs must be licensed with 30 days of obtaining them. You must provide documentation from the veterinarian showing the dog’s rabies vaccination expiration date, and documentation if the dog has been spayed or neutered. The fee for licensing and unaltered dog is $19.00, and for a spayed or neutered dog $8.00. Licenses not obtained within the 30 days are subject to a $1.00 per month penalty.

Click here: Application for Dog License

Renewals – All dog licenses must be renewed in the month of June each year. If the rabies vaccination has expired since the previous year’s license, you must provide paperwork from your veterinarian of the new rabies expiration date. No license will be renewed without this information. If you had your dog spayed or neutered since the previous June license you must bring in documentation from your veterinarian. The fee for renewing the license is $19.00 for an unaltered dog, and $8.00 for a spayed or neutered dog. Licenses not renew by June 30th are subject to a $1.00 per month penalty.

Transfers – If your dog is currently licensed in a Connecticut town and you move to Cromwell, you can transfer the dog’s license for a $1.00 fee.

Lost Tags – If your dog loses its tag, a replacement license can be obtained for $.50.

Veteran’s Discharges - To receive a veteran’s exemption on the assessed value of your property or motor vehicle, you must file your original DD-214, or a certified copy that you previously filed with another town (if original is note available), in the Town Clerk’s Office. You must file by September 30th to receive credit on the following July’s tax bill. There is no fee to record this document.

Liquor Licenses – Liquor Licenses are obtained through the State Liquor Control Commission, however they must be recorded at the Town Clerk’s Office. There is a $2.00 recording fee.

Notary Public Commissions – The Secretary of the State’s Office in Hartford issues Notary Public commissions. Once you received your Notary certificate from the Secretary of the State you must record your commission at the Town Clerk’s Office in the town where you reside. The recording fee is $10.00. You may also record your commission in the town where you do business, but this is not mandatory, and requires another $10.00 recording fee to that town. If a Notary’s signature need to be certified, it must certified by the Town Clerk in the town where the commission is recorded. There is a $2.00 fee for the certification of signature.


Hunting & Fishing Licenses:

All Licenses can be obtained directly from the DEP website at: http://www.ct.gov/dep

Click here: Listing of Licenses and Fees



Absentee Ballots – The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for issuing, mailing and recording Absentee Ballots. Any qualified voter unable to vote due to the following reasons may obtain an Absentee Ballot.

· Illness or physical disability

· Absence from town during all elections hours

· Religious beliefs forbidding secular activity on election day

· Serving as an election official at a polling place other than their own

· Active service in the Armed Forces


How to apply – Applications for Absentee Ballots can be obtained from the Town Clerk, the Registrar of Voters, Democrat and Republican Headquarters, or at the Secretary of the State’s website http://www.sots.state.ct.us/. Any qualified voter already out of town may have an application mailed to them. However, you must allow sufficient time for receiving and returning the application and the ballot.